Caroline Bell and I are very pleased with how the exhibition, From the Earth at Mardleybury Gallery [Datchworth SG3 6SG] has been going. The Exhibition is on for a few more days.. it closes at 4 on Saturday. The Gallery has been a very good setting for the Exhibition.
We have three guest artists, above is the work of Fabienne Dorsman Rey, who also led one of our workshops at Art Van Go. We also have work by the India Flint who I feel is the initiator of the current re surge of interest in natural dyeing and eco leaf printing, as well as Alice Fox’s great work.
It has been great to be able to include work by some experienced UK artists above is Reef Marks by Shelley Rhodes.
There is also work by local artists and artists who are just setting out, this wonderful piece is by Rebecca Robins.
It was good to have Margaret Talbot’s Petrified Trees, East textiles were well represented.
Jenny Dean author of many books and very experienced natural dyer gave us a very encouraging introduction at the Private View last Friday.
Yesterday, as a representative of EAST, I gave a workshop at the Landmark Gallery called “Lines of Communication” which was based on techniques used in some of the pieces in our exhibition. The Landmark has a lovely studio upstairs where we had nine students who had booked to do the workshop.
June (who was my excellent driver and gofer for the day) set off from home to pick me up at 7 o’clock and we arrived at the Landmark before opening so we nipped down the road for coffee before setting to with unloading and setting up.
We started the day loosening up with printing using print blocks that I had either made or had been purchased or lent and also I had taken along such things as a set of French polishers combs, a fork, a bit of old hose and an umbrella handle to see what interesting marks could be made on paper and fabric. After this we did some scrunching and distressing of papers and I also took along some samples for students to use which they would not have time to do that day.
After lunch and after clearing up the messy bit, we selected and deselected pieces, layered them up and arranged. I then demonstrated how to add stitched text to the pieces either directly or on silk organza that could then be overlaid. Students also made envelopes from fabric – I had prepared several templates of different shapes in different sizes. I had taken along an old tablecloth that could be used for this – some students made their envelopes from shear fabrics so that the contents could be seen.
Below are a few photographs of the results.
Welcome to the new East Anglian Stitch Textiles blog.
In the next few days there will be information regarding our latest exhibition.
While our blog is under construction please visit our main website – EASTtextile for information about the group and our current exhibition and activities.