Monoprinting

At the EAST weekend workshop with Caroline Bartlett we spent time playing with monoprinting mainly to create backgrounds for our work on Objects and Memory.

We used acetate sheets and Gelli plates for printing. Masking tape was added to the surface before rolling on the block printing ink and various items were used to make marks on the plate prior to printing. Prints were made on both paper and fabric.

These samples are block printing ink on white linen fabric.

White acrylic paint was rolled on top of the leftover block printing ink for this piece on a heavy white linen.

I then added my three favourite Golden fluid colours to the mix: Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold, Transparent Red Iron Oxide and Paynes Grey. This is the gelli plate before printing and the printed fabric.

Again, this is the gelli plate and the printed fabric. The residue from the previous print had been left on the plate and white acrylic paint added on top. The second print (left) gave a lovely distressed look.

I also kept the baby-wipes I used to clean off the plate – well, you never know if they might come in handy!

Plus the masking tape pulled off the plates looked really interesting too.

Felicity really got to grips with the monoprinting and produced some interesting pieces….

….as did Susan.

Leave a Comment: