My main displacement activity when I am lacking inspiration is sorting out my workroom – or perhaps I should say, rummaging around in my workroom.
Like a lot of artists, I am never totally happy with what I have produced. That is, usually anyway, until I haven’t seen it for a while then I think ‘well, maybe it’s not so bad after all’.
Which is where this surface technique comes in.
I found this book of samples I made some time ago and decided to use one of the end results for a new project.
I tend to make lots of samples so I like to label them explaining materials and colours used. There’s nothing more annoying than finding an old sample and you haven’t got a clue how you achieved it.
If you can see my wording at the bottom of each sample you will see I have used ‘Antique Map’ Emulsion.
You would be surprised at the amount of people that looked through this book, saw that and assumed it was a new product I was playing with – even wanted to know where I got it from. 🙂 When really, it’s just the name of a Dulux emulsion colour I used because I had some left over after decorating!
I’m quite taken with this one. It’s tissue paper strips bonded to the background before colouring in the same way as the previous samples. Just shows how different surfaces can give the same technique of application, mediums and colours a totally different finish.
Below is a close-up of the combination I settled on – more about this next time.